CRAM-MD5 SMTP Connections
As a result of security enhancements in our user management systems, starting on June 26, 2013, we will no longer be able to support CRAM-MD5 SMTP connections. Our testing shows that most mail clients will handle this change gracefully. However, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Windows 8 Mail, and possibly some iPhone users will be unable to send messages until they update their settings. These mail clients will still be able to receive and access email.
Please see below for instructions for iOS devices such as iPhone, iPad. Also instructions for Mac Mail.
We apologize for the inconvenience, however we believe the long-term gains in user security make it absolutely necessary.
Updating Password Authentication Method on Your iOS Device
To ensure your iPhone, iPad, & iPod's SMTP settings are properly configured:
- From the home screen on your device tap Settings, and then Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Then tap the email account under Accounts.
- Tap Account.
- Scroll down and tap SMTP under Outgoing Mail Server.
- Tap on your Primary SMTP server.
- Tap Authentication.
- Ensure Password is selected rather than MD5 Challenge-Response.
- Tap the button on the top left to go to the previous screen, then click Done.
Updating Password Authentication Method on Mac Mail
To ensure Mac Mails's settings are properly configured:
- In Mac Mail, go to "Mail" > "Preferences..."
- Select the Accounts tab. Under Account Information, click the drop-down next to Outgoing Mail Server and select "Edit SMTP Server List..."
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Under the Authentication drop-down, ensure Password is selected rather than MD5 Challenge-Response.
- Click OK to close the SMTP window, then OK again to close Preferences.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 731-845-5640.